Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Busy Girl's Tomato, Goat Cheese & Arugula Flatbread -- Gorgeous + Tasty Enough to Bring to Someone Else's House




When I made this, I hoped it would be yummy.  It was, and I lucked out that it is pretty, too!  I based this on a great looking recipe from the Prevention website called  "Arugula and Goat Cheese Pizza." I didn't have the recipe handy when I was cooking so I improvised. I ended up changing the recipe substantially, so I have listed that I am only putting my recipe down at the bottom.  Please refer to the other, also.  The site has great, healthy recipes.

I  LOVED how it turned out.  So elegant and delicious.  

About four teaspoons or less of oil.  I used canola instead of olive so I could cook those onions at a higher heat in order to finish cooking them more quickly.  You can see the thin, whole wheat Boboli in the background.

Cooking the onions at high heat causes splatter.  Ergo, the splatter shield. Using it makes me feel very chef-like.  Splatter does not make me feel chef-like. Splatter is never good, especially in a tiny kitchen.

Pioneer Woman says to show pictures with movement (see pouring oil above) whenever possible.  Maybe that didn't include dropping sliced yellow pear tomatoes into my pan, but hey, I'm new, and and I'm tryin'!

One pint of grape tomatoes, sliced in half, and about the same amount (eyeballed) from my last crop of yellow pear tomatoes from my garden (*sniff* *sniff* see you next year my sweet little beauties).

[Hey, cat, what about this smells like tuna to you?  You'd better tune up your tuna sniffer. Additional note to cat, you do not like tomatoes, you like salty french fries.]

Back to our regularly scheduled flatbread...Keep up the heat and cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes just start to soften. I added about a teaspoon of Kosher salt to bring out the tomato flavor.

Mild goat cheese with rind that cuts like a brie.  Remove the rind or use the crumble goat cheese ithout rind.  I am a rind person.  Into the oven it goes, 450 for 8-10 min, and out to the garden I go for the arugula to mix with a little olive oil and put on top when it comes out of the oven.

Spouse refers to this (below) as "The Arugula Situation."  As in, "When are you going to take care of that Arugula Situation you have in the backyard?"  The growing issues of the garden this year make me really enjoy anything that is able to become wildly overgrown.  Please note, to the right of The Arugula Situation, is the up-and-coming "Parsley Situation."  Since it is not overflowing onto the walkway hubby built, he doesn't notice it right now.  He will, soon, though, when it becomes the "Pesto Situation" taking over our tiny, elegant little freezer.

Hacked off this handful (below) and pulled the best leaves off to top our pizza!




Tomato, Goat Cheese & Arugula Flatbread

Ingredients:  (You can totally eyeball everything for this recipe.  Except the flatbread)

  • 2-4 teaspoons canola oil
  • One medium onion, chopped (use a larger onion if you love onions like I do!)
  • 1 thin whole wheat pizza crust (I used the Boboli 12” 100% whole wheat)
  • 2 pints (or 2-3 cups) grape tomatoes.  If you see any yellows, use those with the reds!
  • A pinch of salt (about ¼ teaspoon)
  • 1 1/2 ounce(s) goat cheese, sliced or crumbled
  • 1-1.5 cup(s) loosely packed baby arugula
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil (or olive oil spray)
Make it!

1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

2.  Heat canola oil in non-stick skillet over medium to medium high heat, add chopped onion.  Cook, stirring until onion is softened and golden or darker (At the Valentine house, we like it dark brown, almost crispy) 5-7 minutes.

3.  Now add the tomatoes to the onions, sprinkle salt and let it cook without stirring for about two minutes while the tomatoes cook and the then stir to flip the tomatoes and cook another rwo minutes.
3.  Place crust on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Scoop tomato and onion mixture onto flatbread. 

4.  Slice (or crumble) and place goat cheese evenly on top.

5.  Bake approximately 8 minutes, according to directions on flatbread/pizza crust packaging.

6.  Toss arugula with teaspoon of olive oil and arrange on top of cooked flatbread.
Cut into quarters, or cut into smaller slices for finger food/appetizers, or hide half and eat it for breakfast with a poached egg, and for lunch with smoked salmon, chicken breast or chicken sausage.

Enjoy!
xo JPV

BTW, when I went in the fridge to get the goat cheese, I was reminded of this, below, my Squash Situation! AARRGGHH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment