Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Blistering Heat That Hasn't Killed My Plants has Made Them Stronger: My Recipe for Super Easy Grilled Zucchini and Baby Yellow Squash w Balsamic

I figured I'd let my garden decide what to bring to a friend's pot luck the other night. I had been away for a few days in not-as-sweltering Boston and downright mild (comparatively) Provincetown. It’s been sweltering in DC and what heat hasn’t killed our plants (At least two baby yellow pear tomato plants bit it), has only made them stronger, sort of in a scary genetic mutation speed-growth kind of way.  My zucchini for example.  I came home to two enormous and odd looking zucchini (alleged zucchini). 

Baby yellow squash, yellow pear tomatoes (a few still green), two enormous green things masquerading as zucchinis, and two of hubby's jalapenos.


They are paler than the deep green I am used to, and they are the shape of big plump eggplants. Never seen one like them.  Nervous to eat it?  No way.  The seeds looked like pumpkin seeds but tasted like sugar.  The fake zukes are delicious.   

I grabbed the two biggies, and picked two yellow squash that were still very small and the taste was fantastic.  I also just bent off three very small broccoli heads with my hand as I walked by, and tossed those into the mix also (holy deliciousness!)

Grill it while you can!  It was so hot out I couldn’t tell the oppressive heat of the day from the oppressive heat of the grill.  Used a grill pan Denny picked up at Home Depot that has holes and does a great job at protecting me from losing thinly slices zucchini between the grill slats.  We do not need to talk about how often that happens, right? Thank you hubby and grill pan.

 
Super Easy Grilled Balsamic Zucchini and Baby Yellow Squash
2 large zucchini, sliced on thick diagonals
4 baby yellow squash, sliced in half lengthwise
1 red or green pepper, rough chopped into large pieces
Olive oil
Sea salt
Basil sprigs
Balsamic Vinegar

Put all veggies in a bowl or pan where they can be tossed freely.  Drizzle olive oil over the veggies and sprinkle with 2 pinches of salt.  Toss with your hands or two spoons. 

Place on a grill rack over medium high to high heat.  Put the largest pieces directly onto the grates.
Grill approximately 5-7 minutes then check for charring.  Flip gently with tongs. This is where things can get dicey.  Don’t use a fork, they will fall apart.  And a spatula can cause them to move around and possible fall through the grates.  A-hem.  Or so I’ve heard.

Cook another 5 minutes on reverse side.  Remove from heat back into bowl or pan.  Drizzle with balsamic, let cool.

Enjoy!  Hi Mom! Happy birthday again!


No comments:

Post a Comment